${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Main Menu
Call Today: 855-805-0595
To protect your safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we “strongly encourage” telephone and video conferences, versus face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office today to set up a remote consultation. For more information, read our blog post.

Do we have to go to court to determine child custody?

51595049_S.jpgThe short answer to the question posed in this headline is: no. If you are getting divorced (or were never married to the other parent of your child), you need to establish a parenting plan, but you don't necessarily have to go to court to do it.

There are several alternatives to filing a lawsuit and going to court for child custody. However, every situation is unique, so it is crucial that you understand the limitations and benefits associated with each method.

There is the very informal approach to designing your parenting plan. You can simply discuss your wishes with the other parent. If you agree on the terms right away or are able to resolve any issues that arise on your own, you can put those terms in writing and file that agreement with the court. The only court hearing you'll likely have is one to ensure both parties are voluntarily agreeing to terms they understand so the court can approve the agreement. This is often the easiest, calmest and most cost-effective option.

Options that are slightly more formal include mediation or collaboration. These alternative dispute resolution methods still allow parents to design their own parenting plans, but there are other parties that are involved, including a neutral third party like a mediator or arbitrator as well as attorneys. There may be more negotiations and/or complex disputes involved with these options, but the added support is intended to help parents get through them to create a reasonable custody agreement.

If none of these options work or if they were never a good option to begin with, then yes: the case will go to court. Litigation is typically reserved for people who cannot come to an agreement on their own and situations involving matters like contested divorces, domestic violence and/or complex parenting concerns.

So while there are many ways to avoid litigation when it comes to creating a parenting plan, it cannot always be avoided. 

Before you make any decisions on which method to pursue, you would be wise to discuss the options and details of your situation with an attorney. The legal guidance and knowledge of an attorney can prove to be a critical resource in helping you identify the best solution.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Team To Get Help Now

Tell us about your case and we’ll get back to you promptly.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Stange Logo

Stange Law Firm, PC
256 NE Tudor Rd.
Lee's Summit, Missouri 64086

Johnson County:
7300 West 110th Street, Suite 560
Overland Park, KS 62210

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
Law Office Map

DHQ | Divorce Headquarters Divorce
Headquarters ® App Download The App
Questions? Live Chat Pay Your Bill Online
States of Service

Other Office Locations

  • Saint Louis County: 120 S. Central Ave., Suite 450, Clayton, MO 63105: Clayton Office
  • West County: 16024 Manchester Rd., Suite 103, Ellisville, MO 63011: Ellisville Office
  • Jackson County: 256 NE Tudor Rd., Lee's Summit, Missouri 64086: Lee's Summit Office
  • Jefferson County: 16 Municipal Drive, Suite C, Arnold, MO 63010: Arnold Office
  • St. Charles County: 2268 Bluestone Drive, St. Charles, MO 63303: St. Charles Office
  • Franklin County: 5 S. Oak St. Union, MO 63084: Union Office
  • Lincoln County: 20 Centerline Drive, Troy, Missouri 63379: Troy Office
  • Boone County: 1506 Chapel Hill Rd., Suite H, Columbia, MO 65203: Columbia Office
  • Greene County: 901 E. St. Louis, Suite 404, Springfield, Missouri 65806: Springfield, MO Office
  • St. Clair County: 115 Lincoln Place Ct., Ste. 101, Belleville, IL 62221: Belleville Office
  • Madison County: 25 Professional Park, Suite B, Maryville, Illinois 62062: Maryville Office
  • Sangamon County: 400 S. 9th St., Suite 100, Springfield, IL 62701: Springfield Office
  • McLean County: 1012 Ekstam Drive, Suite 4, Bloomington, IL 61704: Bloomington Office
  • Johnson County: 7300 West 110th Street, Suite 560, Overland Park, KS 62210: Overland Park Office
  • Sedgwick County: 2024 N. Woodlawn Street, Suite 407, Wichita, Kansas 67208: Wichita Office
  • Shawnee County: 800 SW Jackson Street, Suite 812, Topeka, Kansas 66612: Topeka Office
  • Tulsa County: 6660 S. Sheridan Road, Suite 240, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133: Tulsa Office
  • Oklahoma County: 2601 NW Expressway, Suite 411 W, Oklahoma City, OK 73112: Oklahoma City Office
  • Monroe County: 116 W. Mill St., Waterloo, IL 62298 (by appt. only): Waterloo Office
  • St. Louis City: 100 S. 4th St., #549, St. Louis, MO 63102 (by appt. only): St. Louis Office
  • Jackson County: 2300 Main St., #948, Kansas City, MO 64108 (by appt. only): Kansas City Office

The choice of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. See additional disclaimers here.